Crew members who work as 2nd Assistant Directors fill one of the most critical roles on any film set. The 2nd AD acts as a bridge between the “set” and the “basecamp” and while they are known for creating the call sheet, their duties extend into other areas of production that are vital for a set to operate efficiently.
The below information was complied by the Directors Guild of America:
2nd AD Duties
- Prepare the call sheets, handle extras, requisitions, and other required documents for approval by the 1st AD, the UPM and/or the production office.
- Prepare the daily production report and end of day paper work.
- Distribute scripts and script changes (after shooting has started) to cast and crew.
- Distribute call sheets to cast and crew.
- Distribute, collect, and approve extra vouchers, placing adjustments as directed by the 1st AD on the vouchers.
- Communicate advance scheduling to cast and crew.
- Aid in the scouting, surveying and managing of locations (mandatory in New York and Chicago)
- Facilitate transportation of equipment and personnel.
- May be required to secure execution of minor cast contracts, extra releases, and on occasion to secure execution of contracts by talent. (May also be delegated to 1st AD and UPM.)
- Coordinate with production staff so that all elements, including cast, crew and extras, are ready at the beginning of the day, and supervise the wrap in the studio and on location (local and distant).
- Schedule food, lodging and other facilities.
- Sign cast members in and out.
- Maintain liaison between UPM and/or the production office and the 1st AD on the set.
- Assist the 1st AD in the direction and placement of background action and in the supervision of crowd control.
- Perform crowd control in New York and Los Angeles except where the work is customarily performed by police officers or is performed by security personnel or a facility at which the photography takes place and which requires or customarily provides this service; provided, however, persons not covered by the Basic Agreement may perform such work if at least two additional 2nd ADs are employed in addition to a Key 2nd AD and 2nd 2nd AD or two Key 2nd ADs
- Supervise and direct the work of any Trainee or Intern assigned to the picture.
- May assist in the proper distribution and documentation of milage money by the Producer’s appointed representative.
An employer may not unreasonably deny a request from a UPM or 1st AD for another 2nd Assistant Director. BA 13-202 (b).